1940 Expansion


Twenty years after it was built, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram building was now too small to accommodate its business needs. Imagine the bustling, but cramped, newsroom of the 1940’s. This expansion provided the newspaper space to accommodate new printing presses.

Structurally this first addition was designed by Wyatt C. Hedrick. He had been the original contractor from the original structure, so he knew a great deal about the building! With this expansion, the original four stories of the building were expanded and “squared off” at the back making it a full rectangle. It expanded the building but also re-imagined its original shape.

The Original Star-Telegram Building


This early photo shows the original Star-Telegram building with cars of that time period parked in front on 7th Street.
The Original Star-Telegram Building
1940 Expansion

Star-Telegram Building


Star-Telegram Building
1940 Expansion

Largest Circulation in Texas


This shows the 1920 building and the Neil P. Anderson Building from the West on 7th Street.  Both buildings were built at the same time.
Largest Circulation in Texas
1940 Expansion

Birds eye view of Star-Telegram


This picture shows the back corner of the block which was soon to be filled in with the 1940 expansion.  This renovation would cover half a city block, from 6th to 7th Streets and fronting the entire length of Taylor Street.
Birds eye view of Star-Telegram
1940 Expansion
© Historic Star-Telegram Building
Special thanks to photograpers, collectors and other generous folks willing to share with us: